23 Sep Top tips on ensuring you remain GDPR compliant
We don’t all have time or the resources in our organisations to be GDPR specialists but nonetheless we all have a duty to understand our responsibilities for staying the right side of the law and protecting those who come into contact and use our products and services. We have put together our top tips on how to remain compliant with General Data Protection Regulations in keeping with the type of personal data you need to process as part of your business operations.
Every business is different so using general processes and policies may make your systems more complicated than they need to be or worse not sufficient to cover your business data processing:
- Understand key terms and phrases used around GDPR
- Process data carefully and only as required to deliver what you do
- Evaluate your products, services, tools and providers to ensure compliance in all areas
- Map and document data streams to identify processes
- Be fully transparent with customers
- Provide updates and training to staff
- Ensure you have a data breach reporting mechanism
- Design Opt in Processes to make them clear and user friendly
- Update Privacy Policies and Cookie Consent on your website
- Conduct a Data Protection Impact Assessment
- Appoint a Data Protection Officer if required
- Conduct ongoing Audits and Reviews to prove the measures you have in place are sufficient
Accreditations such as Cyber Essentials, Cyber Essentials Plus and ISO 27001 are also extremely powerful tools to prove your ongoing commitment to remaining compliant in all areas of Information and Data Security.
If you required support in achieving any of these accreditations or need an independent review of your Data Protection Policies and Procedures, please just let us know.